February 25, 2015

Second fire at Schweiss Welding, Inc.

in Fairfax just days later


Fairfax Fire Department responded to a second fire call in a week at the Schweiss Welding building. This second fire broke out on the southwest side of the main building. It was necessary to tear away part of the outside wall to enable the firefighters to make sure this fire was extinguished. (Staff photo by Marilyn Brandel)

By Amy Berg, Staff Writer

The Fairfax Fire Department was called back to Schweiss Welding, Inc. on Thursday, February 19 in Fairfax for the second time in a week.

Fairfax Fire Chief Joel Grejtak reported that the call came in at 5:28 a.m. and they were on the scene until approximately 10 a.m.

The second fire occurred in the main building on the southwest side.

Mutual aid was called and the Gibbon Fire Department assisted on the scene, as well as the Sleepy Eye Fire Department.


For complete story see print edition

Ryan Sabo injury update

By Amy Berg, Staff Writer

Ryan Sabo, the Gibbon firefighter injured in the early morning fire at Schweiss Welding, Inc. in Fairfax has been moved out of the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at North Memorial Medical Center in Robbinsdale.

During the February 16 fire, Sabo was moving a hose when a steel door fell on him. His left femur was broken in three places, his pelvis was broken on both sides and he sustained a compression fracture in his lower back. He was flown to North Memorial Medical Center.

According to Sabo’s wife, Nickie, on his CaringBridge profile, Sabo was moved out of the ICU on February 17 and into a trauma room. Nickie also wrote Sabo has begun physical therapy.

Just a day later, on February 18, he was able to roll himself down a hallway in a wheelchair, according to a journal post on CaringBridge.


For complete story see print edition

February 18, 2015

Fire at Schweiss Welding, Inc.

in Fairfax

By Amy Berg, Staff Writer

A fire occurred in the early morning hours of Monday, February 16 at Schweiss Welding, Inc. in Fairfax.

The Fairfax Fire Department was called at 2:19 a.m. to the business at 502 East Lincoln Avenue.

According to the Renville County Sheriff’s Office, the southeast portion of the building was fully engulfed and the south building was a total loss. The fire also spread to the North building’s attic but was contained.

Mutual aid assisting on the scene included the Gibbon Fire Department, the Franklin Fire and Ambulance, the Sleepy Eye Fire Department, and North Memorial Medical Center.

The Fairfax Police Department and Renville County Sheriff’s Department assisted by directing traffic.

During the fire, Gibbon Firefighter Ryan Sabo was injured. According to Gibbon Fire Chief Dave Panning, a bi-fold door fell on Sabo. Panning said he suspects that the door’s attaching parts burnt out.

“Then it just tipped out and landed on him,” Panning said.


For complete story see print edition

Appreciation breakfast for  Councilor Beranek

Gibbon community members came out in the ice and the cold to wish former City Councilor Benny Beranek a “Happy Retirement” on Wednesday, February 11 at the Community Center. Beranek  served on the council for over 30 years. Doc Taggatz (left) was among the well-wishers congratulating and thanking Beranek (right). (Staff photo by Amy Berg)